It’s not an easy job to remove window film from windows without damaging the glass or the frames. Although it is not an “impossible mission” to be accomplished by yourself, especially if you are a DIY person. It just takes a lot of time and patience…
Solar Shield installers can definitely help you to have the job safely done with professional equipment to save you some time. If you are looking to have it done by yourself we are more than happy to help you with some tips. Please keep in mind these are only “tips” that may help you with the process without professional equipment. Since there are different factors that could affect the process, we can’t guarantee the complete removal of the film when it’s not done by Solar Shield installers with proper equipment.
Basically you’ll need:
– New Straight Razor blades;
– Water Spray;
– Hair Dryer;
– Baby Shampoo;
– Clean Rugs;
- Mix water with a teaspoon of baby shampoo in a spray bottle.
- Start protecting the surrounding area with the clean rugs.
- Heat the filmed glass with the hair dryer, except on a cold window.
- Using the razor blades try to lift the film from the corners.
- Keep heating the film with the hair dryer and pull film away from surface (Note: if the film has been applied long time ago it may come off in small pieces).
- Most of aged films will leave an adhesive residue, so keep spraying water with baby shampoo on surface and let it sit for a while.
- Spray the glass again and use the razor blades to scrape off the adhesive left on the surface (Never scrape over defroster lines, if you are removing window film from auto rear glass).
- Make sure you keep the surface wet at all times to avoid scratching the glass.
We really hope our step-by-step instructions can help you to have the old film removed. If it seems too much work, before you start the process just let us know. You can contact us and schedule a window film removal.
(Please keep in mind prices may vary depending on your location, size of the project and level of difficulty)